Welcome to B.A.R.K.
B.A.R.K. is a research-driven program designed to support the emotional well-being of university students grappling with challenges around homesickness, social isolation, and integration into the university community. B.A.R.K. programming consists of both intervention studies and community drop-in services.
B.A.R.K. research has been featured in WebMD, Psychology Today and American Kennel Club.
Programs & Session Dates
View the dates and times of our upcoming sessions
Volunteers help keep B.A.R.K. running. Learn how you can volunteer.
Research & Partnerships
Take a look at the research behind the B.A.R.K. and explore our community connections.
News & Updates
- Dr. Binfet: Therapy Dogs Help Optimize College Student Mental Health
- New Article: Complexities and considerations in conducting animal-assisted intervention research
- Canines, Students, and Seniors: Valentine’s Day at Missionwood Retirement Resort
- Dr. Binfet: The Proliferation and Appeal of On-Campus Therapy Dog Programs
- Upcoming Winter 2023 Session Dates
- Who Makes a Good Therapy Dog?
See more news
A Positive Impact on Campus
“We couldn’t walk down a hallway without being stopped. As much as I’d like to say it was me they were stopping for, it was all for Frances,” he says with a laugh. “These students would eventually look up at me from petting Frances and say, ‘As much as I miss my family, I miss my dog more’.”
—John-Tyler Binfet, B.A.R.K. Director | Read the Full Story
Discover our dogs
Explore profiles of our B.A.R.K. dogs and their handlers.
2022/23 Annual Report
Learn what B.A.R.K. has been up to. Read all the highlights.
UBCO Student Wellbeing Resources
B.A.R.K. supporters strengthen the impact of our work. Learn about the Friends of B.A.R.K.